The historic collection of the Seminary library is part of the Dombibliothek's collection since 1973. It consists of books and manuscripts much older than the Seminary's founding year of 1834 since it has its orgins in the works assembled by the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin and the Brethren of the Common Life, who had lived at the so-called Lüchtenhof beforehand.
The Brethren of the Common Life were a reform community of the Devotio Moderna in the 15th century. Their emphasis was on pastoral care, sermons - and the crafting of books. The spread of the art of book printing and the success of the reformation in the diocese spelled the end of the commuity in Hildesheim in 1604. They leave behind their manuscripts and books which have only been studied rudimentarily until now.
The Order of Friars Minor Capuchin moved into the Lüchtenhof a generation later. They used and expanded the collection because their own work in pastoral care and sermon was not possible without books. A considerable amount of this collection was lost to a fire in 1761. The surviving collection found their way into the Seminary after the order was abolished in 1812.